2022, July 28th
Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when humanity has used all the biological resources that Earth regenerates during the entire year by measuring Ecological Wealth. At the global level, ecological deficit and overshoot are the same, since there is no net import of resources to the planet. Coming decade will be crucial for the planet, largest steps towards Net Zero we must take as soon as possible in order limit raising temperatures. The sooner we reach the goals the better.
- On the supply side earth’ biocapacity, representing its biologically productive land and sea area, is measured.
- On the demand side, the Ecological Footprint measures a population’s demand for plant-based food and fiber products, livestock and fish products, timber and other forest products, space for urban infrastructure, and forest to absorb its carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels.
Key facts 2022
- To renew everything humanity currently demands from nature would take the biocapacity of 1.75 Earths.
- 60% of the world’s Footprint is carbon emissions. To avoid runaway climate change, it needs to be zero before 2050, without increasing other parts of the Carbon Footprint.
- 3 billion people live in countries that produce less food than they consume and generate less income than world average.
- 8 billion people, or 72% of the world population, live in a country that runs a biocapacity deficit and generate less income than world average.